Franklin 2016

Most spontaneous competition ever.

Originally I built Recoil to compete in Franklin but the amount of 3 lb robots in existence right now is absurd and registration filled up before I even realized it was open. I figured I would just fight it at Mass D about a month later and it just sat on my shelf ~90% done.

10pm – night before Franklin

Fred messaged me saying he’s leaving in 3 hours and managed to snag a last minute registration opening for me.

I got over to MITERS as fast possible to see how fast I could get Recoil up and running. 30 minutes of terrible titanium bending and Recoil was ready to go!

img_0489

Beauty shot, complete with brass flakes and heat patterns.

We hopped in the car and drove through the night to get to Philly by the morning.

Recoil easily passed safety (weighed something like 2 lbs 13 oz) and was ready for it’s first fight!

It was against the many wheeled wedge know an Mr. Killjoy.

Great Success!

 

As most builders would say “It did the thing”. The main goal of all my vertical spinners has been to hit chunks of robot into the air, rather than simply machining them.

Somehow, my last minute bent and ground wedge (THANKS ALEX AND FRED) managed to  get under the other wedge and the blade, spinning at about 10000 rpm ripped off the front half of the robot and slam it into the ceiling.

After that excitement, of course I was up against Fred next. Fred pretty much taught me everything I know about combat robots and so it was going to be a very interesting fight.

 

We exchanged 2 good hits before things really went wrong. Fred managed to hit the washer/bolt that retained my weapon shaft and it allowed the blade to deflect enough to hit my own weapon pulley, exploding it.

The force of our blade on blade impacts also managed to knock Fred’s belt right off.

WEDGE TIME

Recoil somehow got flipped over and because of the nonexistant retaining bolt, the blade slide right out from my robot.

We wedged around for a bit and in the end, the judges decided in Fred’s favor.

It worked out because I didn’t have any spare pulleys.

img_0498

I toyed with the idea of being a wedge and taping my blade over my wheels to have more pushing power but opted against going to the dark wedge side.

Overall, Franklin was a ton of fun and for the first time my robot worked as spectacularly as I had imagined.

I didn’t take too many pictures (probably due to a lack of sleep) but I’ll put some below.

img_0495

Not Overhaul before matches

img_0496

Classic Overhaul  with broken clamping motor

img_0500

Megatron missing a “small” important bit in the front (his wedge got ripped off)

img_0499

Ceiling damage from the force of the wedge slamming into the ceiling

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s